The latest update is 5.0.4. It's great.
This update fixes a problem in macOS 10.13 High Sierra where the Navigator could become garbled when adding/deleting items.
October 9, 2017
This update fixes a problem in 5.0.2 where new lines would be inserted in code-folded blocks.
September 26, 2017
- Scroll behavior for new lines when "Wrap lines that don't fit horizontally" is off.
- New lines could be inserted in code-folded blocks.
This update improves Live Styling and automatic Re-Indent. It adds Navigator drag-and-drop and preferences for server transfers.
September 11, 2017
- Drag and drop to reorder Navigator items.
- Smarter re-indenting of leading whitespace for new lines, and using Close Tag.
- Server Transfers preferences for default file and folder permissions.
- Live Styling and Overrides can update faster thanks to more efficient reloading.
- Firefox Developer Edition is now a supported browser for Live Preview.
- Some @imported style sheets could be missing from the overview menu.
- Going to SCSS selectors from Xray would not always select the right item.
- Remembering unknown extensions as "plain text" was impossible.
- Dropping files to upload to a server would not present an error if the upload failed.
- The Server Browse connect animation would never stop on macOS 10.13 High Sierra.
This update fixes bugs and adds minor improvements.
July 30, 2017
- Documents with an unknown extension now show a panel letting the user pick a language, optionally applying it for all documents of the same type.
- Re-indenting behavior for Zen Snippets can now be specified for individual snippets.
- Documents for which the encoding could not be reliably detected can now still be opened.
- Permissions when uploading new files/folders should now be compatible with more servers.
- Duplicating, renaming then editing a file sometimes opening multiple Workspace tabs.
- Xray not picking up selectors inside @media or ::before/::after pseudo-elements.
- Xray no longer responding when going back/forward in the page's browsing history.
- Xray showing the compiled CSS rule, instead of the original SCSS/LESS style.
- Overrides not working for @imports when the base override has multiple @imports.
- Undo grouping with seemingly unrelated edits.
- Syntax inconsistencies with HTML and LESS.
- LESS import statements resulting in a Dynamo error.
This update fixes a rare issue where undo or copy and paste could insert random text.
April 25, 2017
- Finally tracked down and added a workaround for a system API that would mysteriously return semi-random text for some users / documents. Thanks for being a wonderful person, Kathy!
This update fixes minor issues in the app, and adds some nice improvements.
April 11, 2017
- Certificate trust panel for HTTPS previews with an unknown or invalid certificate.
- Dragging a URL from Safari to Espresso in the Dock opens a new preview.
- Support for PEM-formatted keys when configuring SFTP key-based authentication.
- A new keyboard shortcut for Move Tab to New Window, and the ability to use outside the Workspace.
- (S)CSS Override and Xray support for @imported style sheets.
- Using the Xray link click button now respects onclick scripts.
- Command-clicking an existing selection now removes it from Multi Edit.
- Tagging of PHP versus HTML+PHP so custom snippets are activated in the expected language.
- Support for syntax themes symlinking to another file (useful for theme development).
- Traditional display of "index.html" in the Workspace until we re-evaluate the feature.
- Window positioning for projects and document windows, as well as the Projects gallery.
- The "Open…" panel now allows selecting package contents.
- Trial menu bar item would remain visible after unlocking.
- When browsing a server in column view, the first column would sometimes fail to reload.
- Find bar would not support tabbing between fields, depending on system settings.
- Re-Indent would not adjust the spacing after commas in CSS selectors.
- Renaming a file and clicking right of the name would end the rename.
- In previews, Open Link/Frame in New Window wouldn't do anything.
- Protocol-relative URLs would be interpreted as a comment in CSS.
- Double-clicking the title bar now respects system settings.
- Reloading a preview would be too aggressive, resulting in lost login sessions.
This blockbuster release was gorgeously redesigned and introduces some amazing new features. Read the announcement.
March 30, 2017
Live Preview and Browser Xray
- Radically re-engineered. The highlights:
- Test your projects in other browsers! Same amazing as-you-type editing and styling capabilities.
- Xray works in Chrome, Firefox and Safari, so you don't have to change your styling workflow at all. This also means you can take advantage of their Web Inspector, Grid Inspector and Responsive Design Mode!
- Far more realistic navigation behavior and resource loading (e.g. with absolute paths).
- The built-in Espresso preview now uses Safari's rendering engine.
- Xray and CSS overrides, now even for SCSS- or LESS-backed style sheets.
- Applied Styles can now be inspected by right-clicking when Xray is active.
Dynamo Auto-Build (in-app beta)
- Easily add powerful smart build behavior by using the Dynamo button in a folder dashboard. Deeply integrated with Live Preview. It is stable and production-ready for style sheet features, but will remain a beta feature until the behavior and syntax is more permanently finalized.
- SCSS and LESS compiling and as-you-type styling with Xray support.
- Markdown and smart HTML statements: imports, variables, fragments, …
- Much more in store, but we're going to expose and grow Dynamo with your feedback.
Editor and Navigator
- Re-Indent HTML, CSS and JS — or extend with the plug-in API.
- Edit and delete multiple selections at once.
- Indentation guides make your code extra readable.
- Bracket balancing makes it easier to see start/end counterparts.
- The Navigator has a new look with much better hierarchical indicators, and adds a Quick Filter.
- Easily duplicate items, as well as lines.
- Miscellaneous text handling improvements.
- Add your favorite text actions and snippets to the toolbar.
- Compact Zen shortcuts are automatically detected and expanded when pressing tab.
- Snippets can have Zen triggers, allowing for complex custom expansions (taking advantage of smart areas).
Workspace and Projects
- Projects have been entirely redesigned. The Workspace can now be shown as a tab bar.
- Quick Filter is much improved, and can show just open files in a new mode.
- Quick Open makes opening files with fingers on the keyboard a breeze.
- Templates let you add anything from simple files to dynamically generated folders.
- The New Project assistant takes full advantage of the new template capabilities.
- Many changes and improvements; e.g. a Folders First setting.
Publish and Servers
- Project Servers have been re-imagined, with a new "Clodette" button menu as the starting point.
- Any project server can now be limited to a specific folder, with smart Sync and Quick Publish support.
- App-wide favorites make sharing connections between projects supremely simple.
- SFTP key-based authentication is now supported from the UI.
- Quick Browse lets you use Espresso as a standalone file transfer client.
- If all these features weren't enough, we added humorous (we hope) trial nags to get you to buy Espresso.
- A ton of smaller changes, which would probably saturate your internet connection if listed out here.