The latest update is v4. It's great.
This update fixes minor issues in the app, and adds some nice improvements.
April 11, 2017
This blockbuster release was gorgeously redesigned and introduces some amazing new features. Read the announcement.
March 30, 2017
Live Preview and Browser Xray
- Radically re-engineered. The highlights:
- Test your projects in other browsers! Same amazing as-you-type editing and styling capabilities.
- Xray works in Chrome, Firefox and Safari, so you don't have to change your styling workflow at all. This also means you can take advantage of their Web Inspector, Grid Inspector and Responsive Design Mode!
- Far more realistic navigation behavior and resource loading (e.g. with absolute paths).
- The built-in Espresso preview now uses Safari's rendering engine.
- Xray and CSS overrides, now even for SCSS- or LESS-backed style sheets.
- Applied Styles can now be inspected by right-clicking when Xray is active.
Dynamo Auto-Build (in-app beta)
- Easily add powerful smart build behavior by using the Dynamo button in a folder dashboard. Deeply integrated with Live Preview. It is stable and production-ready for style sheet features, but will remain a beta feature until the behavior and syntax is more permanently finalized.
- SCSS and LESS compiling and as-you-type styling with Xray support.
- Markdown and smart HTML statements: imports, variables, fragments, …
- Much more in store, but we're going to expose and grow Dynamo with your feedback.
Editor and Navigator
- Re-Indent HTML, CSS and JS — or extend with the plug-in API.
- Edit and delete multiple selections at once.
- Indentation guides make your code extra readable.
- Bracket balancing makes it easier to see start/end counterparts.
- The Navigator has a new look with much better hierarchical indicators, and adds a Quick Filter.
- Easily duplicate items, as well as lines.
- Miscellaneous text handling improvements.
- Add your favorite text actions and snippets to the toolbar.
- Compact Zen shortcuts are automatically detected and expanded when pressing tab.
- Snippets can have Zen triggers, allowing for complex custom expansions (taking advantage of smart areas).
Workspace and Projects
- Projects have been entirely redesigned. The Workspace can now be shown as a tab bar.
- Quick Filter is much improved, and can show just open files in a new mode.
- Quick Open makes opening files with fingers on the keyboard a breeze.
- Templates let you add anything from simple files to dynamically generated folders.
- The New Project assistant takes full advantage of the new template capabilities.
- Many changes and improvements; e.g. a Folders First setting.
Publish and Servers
- Project Servers have been re-imagined, with a new "Clodette" button menu as the starting point.
- Any project server can now be limited to a specific folder, with smart Sync and Quick Publish support.
- App-wide favorites make sharing connections between projects supremely simple.
- SFTP key-based authentication is now supported from the UI.
- Quick Browse lets you use Espresso as a standalone file transfer client.
- If all these features weren't enough, we added humorous (we hope) trial nags to get you to buy Espresso.
- A ton of smaller changes, which would probably saturate your internet connection if listed out here.